Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sweet Dreams

I had breakfast the other day with the lovely Michelle Beckman (if you haven't met her, then you should... she is quite amazing). It was refreshing for so many reasons. You see, Michelle is one of those people who constantly give, but don't seem to receive very often. And right now God is teaching her how to receive. I teared up just hearing her talk about it because she is someone that truly deserves to be given to for a change.

But that is just a side note. The greatest thing I received from our little meeting was joy. She had been going and going for so long that the last year or so seemed to have taken some of her joy, but the past couple months she has experienced renewal. And the fun part is that she found this through relearning to dream.

God has been reiterating the need to dream in her life and it's wonderful, as well as contagious. She told me of how he was encouraging her to think about things that seemed impossible, that she had long given up on, and to hope in him to possibly see them accomplished.

We talked about how we have believed the "super-realists" and allowed them to put an end to our dreaming. People, like my dad, who continually remind me of the practicalities and the possibilities that something might not work out. Always insisting for me to make a plan B just in case.

But what happened to trusting God to come through. I know that I can't have my head all the way up in the clouds (believe me, my dad has passed on some of his commitment to reality).

Who said that reality doesn't include God doing wonderful things, possibly even wonderful things that we want. GASP. God doing things we want?? Well, maybe things don't always go the way we want, and sometimes we must be obedient in areas we would rather not be. But there are times where we are truly given the opportunity to dream of things we want and he provides the means to do those very things.

I want to dream, darn it. And I don't care how much those realists are shaking their heads and calling me childish. My God dreams of having an adventure with me, an intimate experience that is thrilling and challenging. And I truly believe he intends for me to dream for the same with him. And I don't think that that adventure has to look a certain way. I think I just have to rely on God to provide and guide me, and still allow myself to imagine the possibilities that he and I have in our future, no matter how impossible they might seem.

What do you think?

2 comments: