Saturday, January 30, 2010

dear oxford, i love you.

Yesterday, our whole group took a day trip to Oxford and the Cotswolds. It was breathtaking. And my pictures won't do the place justice.


I fell in love with Oxford as I walked by brilliant architecture, ambled through quaint little bookshops, and ate at the pub Lewis and Tolkien used to hang out and chit chat. 


I think it is one of my favorite cities of all time (if not my top favorite). I was sad that I was unable to stay longer.


I also fell in love with the English countryside. It seems so untouched, so peaceful. We drove a total of 4 hours through the countryside (there and back), and I enjoyed every second of it.


Since I will never have the ability to describe to you the perfection of these places, I hope my pictures will give you a slight idea of how wonderful they really are.


And if you're thinking about taking a trip to the UK anytime soon, don't miss out on these little treasures.






*for you Harry Potter fans: this is the outside view of the infirmary
*for you interesting-fact-loving people: this is where Oxford students used to have to stand in a pulpit across from their instructor and defend their thesis in order to earn their degree.


*this is a reading room. Can I have it?







*for the C.S. Lewis and Tolkien fans out there: this is the pub they used to hang out in and discuss their unfinished works. It has really good food as well.

*signatures of all of the members of the Inklings.


*a house in Bourton-on-the-Water that I'd love to pick up, move to Oxford, and live in.

p.s. These pictures in no way display Oxford well. We were walking most of the time, so I only snapped pictures when I had the chance to. In order to understand the full glory of the place, you must go yourself. Seriously. 
Anyone want to pay for me to go to school here? You can come and visit me anytime.

3 comments:

  1. if any place could have my heart Oxford would have mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is on my bucket list to eat at a pub where lewis wrote... so im a little jealous right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. both of you should go then. i have no doubt that you would love it.

    ReplyDelete