Thursday, January 14, 2010

it's only been a week?!

Apparently it's only been one week since I arrived in London. And do you know what I say to that? No way. It's had to have been at least two or three.


The past seven days have been so jammed packed with experiences and emotions I can't even keep the days straight.


I already described my first day and my travels, but since then I've had almost no time to write about the following events. So I'll try my best to give a good overview of my first week in London.


Friday was filled with meetings and a brief tour around our little area, followed by a trip to a pub near Great Russell Square. My flatmates and I went with another flat of interns and enjoyed a pint by the fireplace. I have to admit that I love the pubs here, not necessarily because of the beer, but because of the atmosphere. It's not a bunch of college students getting drunk, like the bars in Tallahassee. It's relaxing and a great place to hang out.


Saturday I did the essential grocery shopping and getting settled. Sunday I went on a coach tour of London, and saw all of the major spots (Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, etc.). Then I went to Hillsong London, which is right around the corner from my flat. It was a wonderful message, even though the intensity of the worship might have freaked out my flatmate (she's used to traditional Catholic churches...oops).


Monday night everyone on the trip went to see Wicked, which was wonderful! I've seen it before in Orlando, but they put on a great show here as well.


Up until Tuesday, I had gotten to know my flatmates better and a couple of guys from another flat, but I still felt like I had had a hard time meeting other people from FSU. It's been so cold that everyone tends to stay in their flat when they aren't out, and people just didn't seem very receptive.


That resulted in Monday and Tuesday becoming homesick days for me. I spent a lot of time thinking about how all of the interns and students had so much time to explore (all of the other interns, except two of us, start in March). And I was wishing that I had my friends here to go exploring with.


However, Tuesday night rolled around, and I was invited to go to the Sports Cafe with a group. I met a bunch of new people and got some of their numbers. New friends! There was also a dance floor and American music so I was happy.


And for those of you beer connoisseurs. I had a Guinness for the first time. Whew. It was good, but really heavy. I probably won't be able to drink that too often, but I did like it.


After a great night of great fun, I went to work Wednesday and then slept in this morning. 
    **just a note about Wednesday. It snowed again! Unfortunately, as I was attempting to run to catch the bus to work, I completely wiped out in the snow and arrived at work with my entire right side soaked. (My clumsiness has followed me)


And today I went to the British Museum, which is a two-minute walk. I'll have to go back to finish going through, but I don't mind. I've decided to go back with a sketchbook next time.


Looking back at the past weeks, I've noticed a couple of things.
   1. I still have to continually fight the urge to win people's approval
   2. It is easy to make excuses about missing time with God, but my heart still desperately needs that time (if not more here).
   3. I've realized that God can truly do anything with my life, and I should and can be content no matter what it is that he does. I like that. And I need to remember that.


Again, here are some pictures to appease you picture-people. (Sorry if they aren't up to par Lindsey)



Westminster Abbey

Parliament

Big Ben (with the London Eye in the background)

I think this is just a building next to Westminster Abbey, but I liked it.

The guards that you are no longer allowed to take pictures with because of an annoying Japanese tourist.

British Museum (the inside view of the ceiling)



Two statues in the British Museum that I liked. (I'm going back one day just to sketch in the Greek exhibit - it's brilliant)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You got to go to Hillsong London! Wow... I am so jealous! Enjoy this adventure God has you on! I look forward to getting to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend's (yoo sung's) sister lived in London for a while and actually became part of the worship team playing violin with Hillsong! very cool Lindsey. hope you have time to soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guinness is awesome.

    You should try Strongbow. Its a cider.

    In non alcohol related comments,

    you should check pollstar to see what bands are playing in london.
    For instance after 5 minutes of searching, I found that the swell season (guy who did the Once soundtrack) is playing today, vampire weekend is playing on 2/3, spoon on 2/16, etc.

    Also, you should see if you can go to Durham to hear NT Wright preach. He is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pictures are perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. lindsey, i set up a skype just for you. looks like you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete